Sometimes the inked tattoo needs to be removed for any invariable reason and this removal process is complex due to multiple reasons. The tattoo can be removed by the following process –
- Laser-based tattoo removal process where the injected ink pigment is broken down into nanoparticle sizes which are carried away from the site by the circulating blood. Before starting the laser therapy, numbing cream or topical anaesthesia is applied to ensure a pain-free/discomfort-free session.
- Surgical excision process involves the excision of the tattooed skin part and suturing of the remaining part of the skin together. This process is done under local anesthesia and is considered for small-size tattoos only.
- Dermabrasion is a procedure where a device with a high-speed rotating brush is moved over the tattooed skin in order to remove the topmost skin layers. This also influences the growth of new layers.
These procedures require a few no. of sessions for the tattoo removal which are decided by the healthcare providers who also recommend on the appropriate procedure to ensure desired results.
Frequently Asked Questions
A. Yes. The laser-based tattoo removal process related to pain varies and depends upon its size, location, and one’s tolerability. One describes the pain as feeling like mild burning or stinging sensation or like a rubber band snapping against the skin. The topical anaesthesia or numbing cream is applied before initiating the process to reduce the pain or discomfort.
- The following factors determine the no. of sessions required for the tattoo removal –
- Tattoo size
- of colours in tattoo
- Location of the tattoo
- Tattoo life (older the tougher)
- Skin type
- Type of Laser used for removal process
For complete removal of tattoo, several sessions are required which are spaced out weeks apart.
A. Usually tattoo removal with laser is considered as a safe process. None of the processes is a risk or side-effect-free process. The possible temporary effects like redness, swelling, or blistering or it can be a change in skin color, infection, or scarring. Healthcare provider will inform about the possible risks or side effects before undertaking any of the tattoo removal procedure.
A. No. Not all types of tattoos can be removed, specifically, those containing yellow or green colors. The tattoo removal too depends upon the color and depth of the tattoo ink and the location of the tattoo. One should discuss their expectations and purpose of the tattoo removal with the healthcare provider for recommending the appropriate procedure.
Many factors determine the cost of tattoo removal process, like –
of colours in tattoo
Location of the tattoo
The cost of this process range from few thousand to some thousands. It is important to get the process through experienced professionals in order to avoid any complications like infection or scarring.