Skin scaling treatment
Skin scaling is a skin condition that is the outcome of medical conditions like contact dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema, or fungal infection. Treatment for skin scaling depends upon the cause and multiple options are available.
- Moisturizer – A daily application of fragrance-free, non-comedogenic moisturizer helps in preventing dry skin and scaling.
- Topical steroids – These anti-inflammatory drugs provide relief from itching, redness, and scaling. Different types of steroid preparation are available. So, the healthcare provider will prescribe it depending upon the skin condition and need.
- Antifungal creams – If the underlying cause of skin scaling is fungal infections, then these antifungal creams may help in treating the infection as well as the scaling incidence. It is effective in cases of athlete’s foot or ringworm infection.
- Salicylic Acid – These help in breaking down the hardened skin area or breaking down the scales. It is available in many over-the-counter creams or in combination with antifungals.
- UV or Light Therapy – This therapy is considered for treating psoriasis and found to be effective in reducing scaling and inflammation.
The mild-natured skin scaling can be managed with moisturizers or with over-the-counter products but severe scaling or those due to medical conditions need the attention of the healthcare provider.
Frequently Asked Questions
Home remedies help in managing the skin scaling condition but the root cause has to be treated appropriately with medication to get rid of it. The home remedies may be like this –
- Placing a humidifier in the living room to maintain the moisture in the air. This helps in preventing dry skin condition
- Taking a bath with oatmeal or Epson salt
Taking oil baths frequently
A. Yes. Certainly, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and personal habits do contribute to improvement in symptoms of skin scaling. A diet rich in vitamins and nutrients helps in maintaining healthy skin apart from personal skincare steps. The sweating due to regular exercise and drinking sufficient water helps in flushing out toxins and hydration of skin.
A. The results of the treatment for the skin scaling are visible within a few days. The itchiness and dryness are controlled on an immediate basis whereas the normalcy in skin appearance and texture takes time which may be from a few weeks to months depending upon the severity of skin scaling and treatment outcome of the underlying cause.
A. The skin scaling treatments like application of topical corticosteroid or salicylic acid may cause skin thinning or irritation over a period of time. The healthcare provider will recommend these treatments based on the severity and after discussing the risk and benefits before initiating the treatment
Skin scaling can be prevented by following simple skin care tips like –
- Following good skin hygiene
- Using mild soaps with natural ingredients rather than harsh chemicals
- Appling moisturizer immediately after the bath when the skin is still moist
- Treating the underlying cause of skin scaling
Following the skincare instructions given by healthcare provider is must.